Failure to follow these directives could result in cancellation of your surgery.
- Our surgery center will call you the day before your surgery (on Friday for Monday surgery) to inform you of your arrival time. IF WE HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO READY YOU BY 2:00 P.M., PLEASE CALL US AT 574-266-4173 FOR YOUR APPRIVAL TIME.
- DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT, INCLUDING WATER. Your surgery may be cancelled if you have had anything to eat or drink prior to your arrival. If you smoke, it is preferable to avoid smoking several days prior to surgery; even for as little as 24 hours is still beneficial.
- The list of your medications must be reviewed by the nurse who schedules your surgery so recommendations can be made as to which medications to avoid the day of surgery.
- It is recommended that you discontinue anti-inflammatory medications for 10 to 14 days prior to surgery. (Ibuprofen, Naprosyn, Aspirin, Advil, Aleve, Excedrin, Bufferin, Motrin, Daypro, Naproxen, Mobic) If you are on blood thinners, specific instructions will be given depending on the particular medication.
- If you are an insulin dependent diabetic, please verify with your primary physician regarding your insulin orders for the day of surgery. Unless your physician advises you otherwise, take one-half of your regular dose of insulin.
- Do not plan to do anything requiring skill or responsibility for 24 hours following surgery. THIS INCLUDES DRIVING A CAR. It is best to have someone with your at home for four hours after discharge.
- Please have someone accompany you to the Surgery Center who will stay during the time you are there, and is able to drive you home when you are discharged. For patients under age 18, a parent of legal guardian must be present.
- If therapy is scheduled and you need to verify your appointment time, please call 574-262-1828.
- If there is a change in your physical condition, such as a cold, fever, cough, any infection, development of open sores or cuts in the operative area, or if you need to cancel or change the date of your surgery, please contact OSMC at 574-264-0791 as soon as possible. If this change is on the morning of your surgery, please call the Surgery Center – 574-266-4173.
- PRECAUTIONS: Critical information your physician needs to be aware of prior to scheduling surgery:
- Malignant hyperthermia
- Severe asthma/Wheezing not responsive to inhaler
- Heart problems/New onset of chest pains
- Latex allergies
- Health abnormalities that could cancel surgery
- Use of diet medications
- Pacemaker or ICDSleep Apnea Bring your CPAP machine with you